Suck Squeeze Bang Blow

.........................................................

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hotrod Hayride 2010 part 1

Well, I'm back in the land of the living after a great weekend in the UK at the Hotrod Hayride.

I'll be posting a lot of pics this week cuz it was grand trip and I think more people need to go there next year! Hats off to the Executioners cc and everyone involved for organising a great event. Here we go:

I took off on thursday morning, on my way to pick up my travel companion LeShawn when I noticed the charge meter going off the scale. A quick diagnose pointed to the voltage regulator. I'm sure the electrics in my van wouldn't last long at 20 volts or more and with the alternator disconnected, neither would my battery. After a few roadside calls, I found a company called Van Dijck USA parts who had a replacement regulator in store but unfortunately he was closed. After some persuasion, he agreed to let my friend pick up the item at his house, thanks man! I drove with the alternator disconnected and fingers crossed for another 120kms to my friends house, who had already picked up the regulator when I got there. Amazing how long the ignition keeps working on the battery alone. After a quick fix, we were on our way again.
We drove to Duinkerke (F) to catch the ferry across the channel to England, stopping at nearly every gasstation on the way. I have a small LPG tank of 50 liters which only lasts around 200kms.

After the ferry, we had about 150kms to drive to Bisley and we arrived at around 21.00hrs, only to find an almost empty campground. Parked the van and headed off to the pub, where we met up with Henry & the Ford brothers from Holland. Henry is the guy who initiated the Rockin' Jalopy's Motorama Show in Rosmalen (NL). He also built this crazy Excalibur hotrod:

After a few pints, I hit the sack in my home for the weekend.
Next morning, we headed off to the nearest pub for a gruesome breakfast. Horrible coffee, burnt toast and the most rancid sausages I've ever tasted in my whole meat-eating career, blerk!
After that fiasco, we went for a cruise around the grounds to see if there were interesting cars coming in. They were, this rat Willlys for example:
Ford Pop with a nice 70's look:
The meeting grounds belong to the NRA (National Rifle Association) and during the entire year, shooting contests are held and members are practicing. I'm telling ya, the sound of constant gunfire adds extra atmosphere to a car meeting! The grounds are also filled with old barracks, club houses, canteens and so on, making for a picturesque backdrop.
This Dodge truck would make a great camper!
Lots of rusty pickups and panels around, this one was one of my favorites:
Goldmember pro street.
That's enough for now, next time, more pics of the oval race, bikes & cars and the coolest place to hang out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bart, that big blue panel belongs to a mate of mine, cool as mate..... didn't see you at the Hayride as I was looking for the Tatra....

    ReplyDelete