Suck Squeeze Bang Blow


Thursday, November 26, 2009

Rockin'Jalopy's Motorama

Last weekend I visited the first (hopefully of many) edition of the Motorama show in the Autotron.
It was a great show, hosted by Mr. Henry, many thanks for that and it was a real who's who of the dutch Kustom (with a K) scene.

Scrapers and Trashers car clubs, Kars, El Cheapo, BSclassic cars, Short Cut Choppers and many more were there to show their stuff, accompanied by live music.

It was a great atmos and I will definately be there next year! See you there!

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hard labour

Some more days spent on painting The Green Machine.
The flakes were on, followed by 4 layers of clear.

Wet sanding the whole day...
Then taping an outline and spraying silver.
After masking the outline off, spraying layer after layer of green Kandy, until a nice fade was there.
After another three layers of clear, the "Unwrapping Of The Present" and behold (angel choir singing in the background):

Today, a whole day of wet sanding to get a flat surface for yet more layers of clear. That's tomorrow.
Next week: Lettering on the sides in vinyl with pinstripes and airbrush-effects, maybe clearing the roof, if there is time, installing new brake calipers and adjusting the ignition. Also: fitting a Kolor TV inside.

Must be ready by friday for:
Come and see this 80's Custom Van survivor in real life! At the Autotron Rosmalen! Boggles the mind!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Keep on Flakin'

Flakes are the shit. I added some yesterday and it looks slammin'!
I used the Glowble flakes from Metalflake. Not the biggest on the market but certainly the shiniest. Look at them smiling at you, even from the bottom of the mixing cup.
I sprayed a few layers over a dark grey base. It shines!
You can even see reflections in the flakes. Now I have to add many a layer of clear, and then some green Kandy. Tune in next time for more crazy paint.

Friday, November 6, 2009

Taping the van, taping the van!

Started taping off the panels on the Green Machine. I laid out the design using blue vinyl tape.
Then I masked off the rest of the car.
Monday I will start Flaking the panels in silver. That means, sadly, the pinstripes have to go. Sorry Herb!

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Vans 'R Us

I did some mechanical work on the Green Machine.
There was a big trail of oil under the car. Everything behind the engine was covered in oil. I traced it back to a leaking intake manifold gasket. So I ordered a new set and got to work taking everything apart.

The engine in the van is located between the front seats so acces from under the hood is very limited. If you take away the engine cover in the interior, you can sort of reach everything on the block. You have to be careful not to get the oily bits on the upholstery and your working position is very awkward at times.

You drape your body on the front seat and try to get at the engine, lifting a very heavy cast iron intake manifold off, revealing the camshaft....
I cleaned everything and put in the new gaskets. Then I turned my attention to the front. The things that you can reach there include the radiator, power steering pump, battery and master brake cilinder. That last item was leaking brake fluid. Can't be good for safety, folks!
I disconnected it and took it out. There was a lot of gunk inside and the piston was corroded badly. Time for a new one.
After putting that in I tried to bleed the system but I broke off the bleeder valve at the rear wheel cilinder, Hoover damn! So, again, I got on the phone with C&P parts and ordered some new ones. After seeing the state of the master brake cilinder, I decided to order some new calipers for the front brakes as well. They probably have been standing still with the same brake fluid for 20-something years so better to be safe than sorry.

While I wait for the new parts I will add some special paint on the sides. I made some sketches a few weeks ago in photoshop.
The bands will be Metalflake with a fade from dark to light and back to dark green. It will be bitchin'.

So I moved the giant dinosaur into my new paintbooth. I had to move back the folding wall and it took a while, maneuvering back and forth, but it's in! I will start preparing the bodywork for paint and hope to put on some flakes very soon.
Join us next time for some magical flake dust!